WELCOME TO 5 BULLET FRIDAY!The Chadron High School Cardinal Counseling Department is excited to share our 5 Bullet Friday Newsletter for the 2019-20 school year! Each week we will be providing readers with five facts, tips or tricks to help make the school year a success academically, emotionally, and socially! 1. Join LIVE Monday's at Noon for Cardinal Cast!Join Mr. Mack and Mrs. Watson LIVE on Facebook, YouTube, or InstagramEVERY Monday at 12 p.m. MST! If you can't make the live stream DO NOT FRET we keep all the videos right here please hit SUBSCRIBE!
So far we have covered the following topics:
- What to expect the first days of school
- Important Information for Senior Students and Parents
- Communicating with Teenagers
This week our topic will be: 5 Ways to Improve Student Mental Health!
There will also be a weekly 2 Minute Drill designed to share important information in a TIMELY manner :)2. Free and Reduced Lunch Paperwork If you got a chance to watch the 2 Minute Drill from this week you already know how important turning in your FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH paperwork is! Not only do you get free and reduced lunch, but the following perks as well!
- A free or reduced meal, NO ONE gets "hangry" on our watch!
- Up to 3 FREE College Classes a Year! These can be through ANY college online or in person. Dual credit college courses offered at the high school also count! 9 College credits a year for the junior and senior year amount to 18 college credits complete for free while in high school, that's a full semester of college for FREE and can be saving over $5,000!
- 2 FREE National ACT exams, and one FREE state ACT exam! No brainer here - the more times you take it correlated with strong coursework the higher your score will be!
- FREE and reduced participation fees, club dues, activity passes, and SO. MUCH. MORE.
It is an absolute no brainer, if you think you might need another copy to fill out contact Tricia Berry at the CHS office 432-0707 or stop over.3. ACT & ASVAB Fast Approaching!Here we GO for Fall testing season! A few approaching dates to keep your eye on:
- September 14th: ACT Exam! The September ACT will be hosted at Chadron State College. Registration for this exam is past deadline, HOWEVER, we will host another ACT exam at Chadron High School on October 26th! Registration for the October ACT is due by September 20th. To register you must go to www.actstudent.org and use a debit or credit card to pay for the exam. If you are a free and reduced lunch student see Mrs. Watson for a fee waiver!
- September 18th: All juniors will take the ASVAB. The Department of Defense introduced the ASVAB (which stands for Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) in 1968. It was originally designed to predict future academic and occupational success in military occupations. However, extensive research indicates the ASVAB assesses academic ability and predicts success in a wide variety of occupations.
The ASVAB CEP is used for career exploration and is given to high school and early post-secondary students. We will do a fun activity after taking the ASVAB to help predict and correlate ACT scores and explore possible strengths in certain careers. An enlistment version of the ASVAB is given primarily at Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS), and is used for enlistment purposes only. If a student is interesting in extra preparation leading to the ASVAB they can find it here!
4. Texting Your Student/Parent During the School Day.Don't stress! We ALL DO IT. I just want to make sure you are being INTENTIONAL with how teens and parents communicate together. Please watch this if you get a chance!
Here's the JIST....As a parent with the current technology you will be able to receive REAL TIME information regarding grades, behavior, etc. from Chadron High School. Please be sensitive to the fact that your students are here to learn in ALL their classes. One bad Infinite Campus grade or a call from Mrs. Watson does NOT mean we need to send an immediate text to scold, reprimand, or try to fix the situation at hand. Wait until after school before you have "the talk", and if there is a crisis or tough conversation you need to have with your student I encourage you to break the news after school, or in person. Mrs. Watson is always here to help! 5. Mental Health First AidTransitioning back to school can be stressful, let's keep an eye on each other and support positive interactions and emotional health! Readers, THANK YOU AGAIN for joining us! Whether you are from CHS or another school, If you find it worthwhile please continue to SHARE. THE. LOVE (and the link).
Follow Chadron High School on social media below!